Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Some wadding for rcw's life support. (deliberately long)

I make a lot of small replicas of the Jupiter lighthouse to use as fan
pulls or whatever. I turn them, stain the shaft & base red and the light
room black and try to avoid bleeding. I polish them and add a screw eye.
I put them into a small plastic bag with a printed sheet detailing the
history, range and construction of the famous light. I usually give
them to the hospital and other fund raising thrifts to sell and I keep
some in the truck for incidental gifts.

The pompous big shot at one thrift which shall be nameless decided to
sell them for $1.00 so after explaining about cutting the mahogany
blanks turning them, staining them etc. etc. I suggested either giving
them away or selling them for at least $5.00 to $10.00 as do the other
thrifts.
Turning friends say $5.00 is much too little and only demeans my
contribution.
I am not trying to deduct a large charitable contribution, but truth be
told I am miffed.

And another recent put down, Guess I'll never learn. For Earth day, I
turned several large weed pots from roadkill logs, leaving the bottom
2/3 rough & natural and the top 1/3 nicely finished. I gave them to the
Church warden with explicit instructions to position them at intervals
along the walkway to the church entry. I provided some colorful ixora &
croton cuttings. They weren't placed along the walk, but at the coffee
after the service they resided on a large table with a sign saying "help
yourself, but take only one". I tell you guys, Christian or not I was
tear-ass, but could only smile and say "Thank you, you're welcome" when
sweet innocent ladies came up and said "Someone said they thought you
made these. How nice of you. My pot is lovely". Grrrr!

I think I mentioned this one before, but while turning with the garage
door facing the street open a man drove up and wanted a large bowl for
an anniversary gift. I explained that I don't turn as a business and
never a custom piece since turner and client are seldom on the same
page. He then scornfully looked at my simple abode among the mcmansions
and said "I am painting a large expensive home down the street and I can
give you an hour's time of my crew toward painting your little house in
exchange for a bowl. I couldn't resist, I said "Well ok nevermind the
painting, would cash be ok"? He said sure and I informed him that I got
between $4700.00 and $5000.00 per bowl. He paled, said he'd be back,
drove off and I've never seen him since.

Have any of you guys suffered a similar situation? How did you handle
it? Your answers may be too late for me, but your posts might revive
our anemic NG. Thanks in advance, but I won't offer to paint your shops.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter