Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:09:25 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:42:50 +0800,
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:33:14 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I sure wouldn't buy a brand new anything nowadays. What I
don't want in a vehicle; no airbags, anti-skid/traction
crap, air conditioning, tire air pressure monitor/alarm,
Onstar... I'm sure there must be a few more things I can't
think of right now too. Most likely if I have to replace my
old 1982 truck someday it will be with something else old.

I certainly cannot afford a new vehicle but any replacement I buy
must have airconditioning - there is nothing worse than a stinking
hot car on a 40+C/103+F day. Currently a 93 Patrol.

May Dad tried to find a new car without air conditioning in
the early 90's. No such animal... he ended up getting one
with air, power steering and brakes which he didn't want
either.

Methinks he was foolish. YMMV

My '91 F-150 came without air and it was/will be the last vehicle
without air conditioning I ever purchase. Summer's hot enough
_working_ for a living, but driving around in the heat sucks too, too
much.

I doubt if this has changed much, but I really have no use
for air conditioning. It would only be nice for maybe 5 days
a year (or less) that I would be driving it. Hard to justify
the extra cost for so little benefit.

You must live in a very northerly, mild climate. I'm at Longitude 43N
and it still gets up to 41C/105F here a few days. Other weeks, it
stays in the mid 90s. That's too hot for comfort.

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---