Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt Dunphy Matt Dunphy is offline

Default Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?

On Apr 15, 3:04*pm, "
wrote:
Matt Dunphy wrote:
I've successfully stopped ants from coming into my kitchen by making
an unbroken line of liquid dish soap around the perimeter. Dish soap
is
cheap, alkaline/basic, and ants are acidic. Drop a bit on an ant
sometime, it'll kill 'em dead. Bonus is that it also cleans up
whatever
the scent trail is that they've left behind Apologies for my highly
scientific language there, heh.

You might be drowning beneficial critters, like earthworms. *Not that it
matters ) *U of Florida has a test for mole crickets (ugly!) by
pouring a couple of gallons of soapy solution on a small area of sod.
The mole crickets are supposed to surface because they are drowning and
struggling for air. *Well, lots of other things surface, too. *The
things you discover doing lawn care for a condo! )

A few drops of Terro take care of my ants for the year and don't kill
anything else....there are lots of critters that are pests only when
they come indoors. *I don't like killing more than I must. *Ants help
pollinate stuff.

I don't use much soap. It's literally a line of dishsoap along the
perimeter
of my tiled kitchen floor. Nothing's going to drown.