Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default problems with new water softener -- is this for a DIY-er or theexperts?

On Apr 30, 1:35*pm, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

About a month ago, a new water softener was installed in our home. *We
were told that we would need a new bag of salt about once every three
to six months. *As it turns out, we've gone through about one bag per
week. *Also, the water feels really oily. *Yes, soft water does that -
but this water feels much oilier than the water at our friends' homes
or local businesses, many of which use water softeners. *It actually
feels dirty, and the dirty feeling remains on our hands until we rinse
in nonsoftened water.

Is there a quick adjustment I can do? *Or is this a job for the
experts?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

It could be backwashing too often using up salt so fast. But even if
you set it to backwash less frequently the water will still be just as
"oily", as the salt has nothing to do with the actual softening
process. The salt is used to break the ionic bond the filter has on
the extracted minerals, making the filter "clean" again for the next
cycle. If anything it could be that your filter is a little oversized
for your hardness and it is filtering it more than you would like it
to and making it more "oily".

You will probably have to just get used to the level of softness, but
you may be able to use less salt by slowing down the backwash
interval.