Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default concrete driveway.

On Apr 30, 2:38�pm, Chris Hill wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:16:36 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hill wrote:

I'm thinking of having at least part of our gravel driveway concreted.
My question is, what should I ask for?

I'm wanting to do this because the driveway has a small slope down
from the road then back up toward the house, with a slope down to the
driveway on one side. �The gravel keeps puddling, and after our record
rains this has become a real problem. �The biggest thing that sits on
the driveway is a diesel pickup weighing in at around 7,000 pounds.

How thick a slab should we get, how much reinforcing, etc. �The area I
want to do is about two cars (maybe 15 feet wide, and probably 30-40
feet long.

Any info appreciated.

CH

I'm just curious, how is concrete going to stop the puddling? I think
what you really need is drainage.

That's also a part of the plan. �Either some sloping to allow the
whole thing to drain off to one side or a trough, grate and some sort
of ditch or pipe to take the water away.- Hide quoted text -

plus OP will need area to be concreted dug out, and proper well
drained gravel base installed.

you cant just lay concrete over a poor base, it will only crack and
fall apart, espically if its in a area that freezes.

first move regarade area