Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard R Garner Howard R Garner is offline

Default Memory Lane, slightly OT

On 2009-04-30, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[ ... ]

I bought my Wang used from an engineering competitor. It had an IBM
selectric input/output, along with a flatbed plotter. Two Memorex floppy
drives were attached. One of the floppies (not the drive) went bad and had
to buy a new disc. $ 800 for an 8" floppy (yes, they were floppy in those
days) that had a capacity of about 160K.
Hmm ... soft sectored or hard sectored?

The 8" floppies which I used on my SWTP systems we

250 K (SSSD)
500 K (SSDD)
1 M (DSDD)

but some systems used the 8" floppies as punched card images, so a 128
byte sector would only usefully hold 80 bytes, so that would take a SSSD
from 250K down to 160 K.

I also remember working witht he 8 inch floppies. Connected to my Heath
H-89 at the time

In late 60's we had a MonroeRobot computer. From power off you had to
load everything from punch tape, then load our test data tape to get
results. Our data came from our test equipment via a FlexWriter with a
punch attached. Interesting time in the Navy.

Howard Garner