Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

On Apr 30, 12:13*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:20:00 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Sure they will, just put your cable modem and whatever equipment is
provided for the VOIP onto a UPS. *I don't have phone service at all
but I do leave my cable modem on a UPS, saves me having to wait 2-3
minutes to reconnect when the power momentarily drops out while I'm
web surfing. *(my puter is a laptop, SWMBO's is also on a UPS.)

From my experience the cable (Comcast) goes out when the power goes
out and if it is storm related the cable is the last thing *to be
restored. TV may take a day or two, data has been more like a week. I
run a web site hat updates once a minute so I know how often the cable
modem is out, even on a sunny day. That is why I got rid of my cable
modem...
... I have never lost POTS service in a hurricane and my Western
Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust.
DSL failures are very seldom and of very short durations, based on my
logs.

I have Cox cable and it definitely stays up while the power is out, as
I have successfully checked my email during power failures before.

My last place I was lucky if the POTS worked on a bright sunny day,
forget about bad weather. Hence my lack of POTS at my current place
(same company, V*****n.)

nate