Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Memory Lane, slightly OT

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
How many of you have taken this road? Those that have know what I'm
talking about.

Slide Rule, Marchant, Friden, Monroe, Curta, HP35, HP45, HP67, HP95,
Wang, IBM PC, DOS, IBM XT, $395 for 64K Ram card, VisiCald, Wordstar
modern day PCs and CAD programs.

The above are approximately in order.
Just for fun, I did spend some time with a Soroban (same as Abacus minus
one bead) and could multiply and divide just about as fast as someone
with a hand-crank Monroe.

I think the slide rule should still be taught. It sure gave use the
ability to estimate the order of magnitude of the answer. Ask a kid
today what 100 times 100 is. No clue. Something that's lost today.

You left out teletype connected to PDP 8/L minicomputer.

You are so right, Jim. Digital Equipment Corporation was a big player. I
got to use one for a few months back in 1972. I also forgot to mention
Radio Shack's tandy computer.

Ivan Vegvary