Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Oppie[_6_] Oppie[_6_] is offline

Default Rim drive CD player ?

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Oppie"
"Phil Allison"

** See pic of rim drive CD player.

Made in Italy, circa 1968 .....

that looks like a old 45 player from a jukebox.

** Don't it just !

I thought it was an ancient echo/chorus box. one magnetic record head and
5 read heads (multiple taps). One head may be for erase or there may be a
permanent magnet used for that purpose.

** Yep - the unit is an all valve " Binson Echorec B2 "

The drum assembly is **exactly** 120 mm in diameter

- ie it the SAME as a CD or DVD.

Spoookyyyy !!!

There is a very thin steel band attached to the outside of an aluminium
support ring which is in turn attached to an inverted, pressed steel dish
sitting on a hefty bearing. The drum spins counter-clockwise at about 75
rpms making the head speed 19 ips.

The patented design was engineered in the late 1950s in Italy, as an
alternative to using short tape loops that had both poor performance and
wore out very quickly.

.... Phil

Here are a bunch of hits for the Echorec
http://www.google.com/search?source=...=0&oq=binson+e

There are some good videos listed there
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=5&ct=title#

I remember the group "McKendree Spring" back in about 1970. They had one
guy, Michael Dreyfus, playing violin with an electric pickup. I would assume
that this was an acoustic pickup since you can't put metal strings on a
violin (afik). In the song 'God bless the revolution' the entire band starts
the song and then all but Dreyfus leave the stage. Dreyfus then does a 10
minute solo, playing while operating a few tape echo/delay units. The affect
was awesome (and I was straight/sober at the time). I now have to look up to
see if the album is available and if it sounds as good today.
Oppie