Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

Dave Starling wrote:
On Apr 29, 8:11 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I deal with 'difficult' bits with 'spike'
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Too...ar/invt/167422
or

I've put in all of mine with one of those - and a hand trowel. We're
on sand, with mixed stones and a lot of odd roots. I don't think a
borer would go through, and I've never tried a post spade.

Innit wonderful what a 4' long 2" diameter steel bar can do :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

yeh, but you need to be built like a brick sh*thouse to wield one like
that for sustained periods! I've got a 5ft long bar that has a 2 inch
tamper on one end and a chisel point on the other. The chisel softens
up the contents of the hole to make removal with a post spade much
easier.

Once you get below a foot deep, you can forget using a trowel unless
you like digging whilst laying on your belly. May as well be using a
spoon.

Thats where the post hole digger comes in.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk