Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

In article ,
Reed wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Reed wrote:

RickH wrote:
Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
none have base-unit batteries.

Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
from the usual big box stores in the US?

A little work with Google found this model that claims "battery backup
for power failure"

http://www.amazon.com/EP5995-Expanda...e/dp/B000FCA0K
8

yabbit, I think that's just a memory back-up that keeps your clock set
and your messages intact for when the power is restored.

from the user manual at:
http://telephones.att.com/docMgt/pub...manual__r2.pdf

"In the event of a power failure, the charged battery pack in the base
will allow you to make and receive calls from the cordless handset for
up to three hours."

Sadly, it is a "special" battery pack

Wow. Seems like they ought to put more effort into promoting that
feature, given how rare it is.

There you go, RickH. As long as insert your electric utility here can
fix the blackout in 3 hrs. or less, you're golden. But I'm with several
others here in advocating a non-cordless model stashed with your
emergency supply of candles and Dinty Moore Beef Stew.