Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Parts for old plane--update

On 4/29/2009 8:34 PM Steve Turner spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The other thing is that the new screw has a slightly beveled shoulder
underneath the head, where the old screw was just flat. I guess that's OK.

That's a Bailey-ism that's probably nothing to be concerned about. My
assumption as to why it's designed that way has to do with the "old
style" lever caps which had a simple keyhole opening (as opposed to the
kidney-shaped opening on newer planes). The narrow portion of the
opening tends to have a corresponding "receiving" bevel (whether
manufactured that way or just worn into shape after years of use, I
don't know) which helps keep the cap from wandering when tightened in
place. I have one old Millers Falls jack plane, and the screw also has
this bevel, but I'm not sure if this screw is original or "borrowed"
from a Bailey plane.

The lever cap on my Millers Falls plane has the keyhole-shaped opening
with no bevel. I'm not gonna sweat it (the old screw is still usable, if
a little chewed up and not too pretty).

Time to regrind that blade ...

--
Save the Planet