Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default long term reliablity computer boards

Karl Townsend wrote:

Mach3 has come a long way, but still not up to control of industrial size
commercial machines,IMHO. No closed loop servo control, can't handle large
amounts of I/O, PLC interface is still poor, custom M&Gcodes not there.

Oh, well, in THAT case, have you looked at EMC2?
We have a large aerospace shop in Wichita that is
converting their machines over to EMC2. Right
now, that user is adding full N-axis error
mapping, to compensate for any non-straightness or
orthogonality error in the ways. He is already
running a Cincinnatti 5-axis machine with it, and
a Giddings & Lewis with dual feedback (shaft
encoders plus linear encoders). EMC2 has a
built-in ladder-logic program (Classic Ladder).
The advantage is you can bring up diagnostic
screens any time there is some jam-up in the tool
changer, for instance, to find which sensor is not
getting the right signal.

Custom codes are easily added.

True closed loop positioning feedback to the CPU
since at least 1997 when it was ported to PCs.

Jon