Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Memory Lane, slightly OT

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
How many of you have taken this road? Those that have know what I'm
talking about.

Slide Rule, Marchant, Friden, Monroe, Curta, HP35, HP45, HP67, HP95,
Wang, IBM PC, DOS, IBM XT, $395 for 64K Ram card, VisiCald, Wordstar
modern day PCs and CAD programs.

I actually salvaged a couple Monroe-matics from
the dumpster at work many years ago. The actually
worked for a number of years, I loved to show them
off doing long multiplications. Finally, they
jammed up to the point I couldn't unjam them, and
my wife made me get rid of them.

We had a Wang calculator at work. A 3 foot cube
full of boards, and 4 consoles with nixie tune
displays on them.

I still have my HP45, which kind of still works.

I was one of the few people with a MicroVax at
home in the late 1980's. It finally blew a disk
drive last year and I shut it down for good. Now,
it is pitifully slow compared to PCs. I did get
20 years use out of it though!

Jon