Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Looking for Long Life Pilot Lamp

On Apr 29, 1:33*am, jeff_wisnia
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:35:22 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:

What a great list of suggestions! Thanks to all. Hmmm, now which one
to choose???
* * BTW I wasn't planning to have the neighbor check daily. I would
call them to check just before I was planning to come down.
* * As for their power being on and mine not, it could happen. I
agree odds wouldn't favor it, but this is a heavily pine-treed area.
* * Thanks again for all your great ideas. At present (although I
love the novelty of the relay idea) I am favoring an always-on LED of
some sort.
* * Will check HD.
* * * * * Frank

Well if that's all you want to do just install a line powered phone
answering machine at your place and call it when you're curious about
the power. If it answers, the power must be on.

That scheme was described in a recent Car Talk "Puzzler".

Jeff

But he has NO PHONE at the cottage.
A Cell dialler perhaps? Assuming he has cell coverage. MANY cottages
do not.

That "thwock" you may have heard was me giving myself a "dope slap" to
my forehead for missing the fact that the OP doesen't have a phone there.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

If not LED use two 115 volt bulbs in series. Or use a 230 volt bulb on
115 volts.
Also myself and neighbour use a radio frequency baby monitor to
'listen' to the other's house when either of us are away.
If/when our intrusion alarm or smoke alarm were to go off the other
family will hear it immediately and investigate, We exchange keys and
keep an eye on each other's property, have done for years. Couldn't
ask for better neighbours although we rarely if ever socialize or
attend same church.