Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default The NEW Drill Press

On Apr 29, 12:51*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
that the head probably did not weigh much over 150 lbs but there are

really
no decent places to grab that do not have sharp edges or pointed bolts
sticking out so the comfort factor was reeeeeel low and as you well know

if
the comfort factor is reeeel low things change. *Couple that with the wind
chill factor and you get a head that feels like it weighs 300 lbs.

With all the toys you have, don't you think it's about time you invested in
a ceiling mounted rail system for hoisting and moving heavy objects around?

A peepot full of years ago, I bought an engine crane. It has removed
exactly one engine (that I know of: it is occasionally on loan), but
has lifted a lot of heavy tools onto their feet, drill press heads
onto their columns and that sort of thing. Long gone are the days when
I could put most of a 6" jointer together on the floor and then grab
the tables in close and flip it upright without a care. Same with
doing a clean and jerk with a drill press head, after which you get to
move it around until the column and the hole in the head line up--
usually right after one of your fingers slips into the hole on the
head.

Some of the newer packing set ups come close to being totally baffling
anyway. Jet's hybrid saw, for example, is a really nice tool. It comes
packed upside down, in tightfitting styrofoam inside tightfitting
cardboard (for those old enough, think Sammy Davis Jr.'s britches).
Once you unearth the manual, it tells you to save all packing
materials in case something is wrong. Uh, sure. After using a utility
knife to slice both cardboard and styrofoam, I'm going to store all
the cut up bits. Ryobi's hybrid comes packing inside a metal cage. The
saw has a granite top and weights, if memory serves, 452 pounds
without its cage.

Enjoy your new DP, Leon.