Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Resistance of equal leg angle

On Apr 29, 2:46*pm, Andre Majorel wrote:
Howdy. I'm looking into building a frame made of equal leg angle
to put a tall 19" rack on wheels.

Do you know of a formula that yields the minimum size of the
angle for a given load and span ? Not the full blown one for
structural engineers, I wouldn't understand it ; just a basic
rule of thumb.

Thanks in advance.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
Please fix my horn, my brakes don't work.

If you can't design a structure properly, normally you heavily over-
design it. In this case the load is in the corners, right? so the off-
center support of swivel casters will twist the angle, especially if
you roll the rack into a power cord or door sill.

One simple way to make a caster base from angle is to connect each
pair of casters with two lengths of angle, one on each side, facing
down and separated by the longer dimension of the caster plate so they
don't hit the wheels. Then connect the two subassemblies with one
piece on each side, facing up to keep the load from sliding. The four
caster plate bolts hold it all together without welding.

jsw