Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Lazy Susan

Very, very nice! That's one terrific looking Crazy Adams!
I'd be proud to have one of those on my table; hope you are.

The term "Lazy Susan" made its first written appearance in a Vanity
Fair advertisement for a "Revolving Server or Lazy Susan" in 1917.
Prior to that time they were called dumbwaiters, a term also applied
to a type of small elevator for transporting food.

According to Word-detective.com "Whirling Domestics"
Jewishworldreview.com, the Susan part of Lazy Susan is suggested to
come from servants, who were often named Susan back in the 1700's. In
some regions of North America, a Lazy Susan is called a Crazy Adams, a
reference to former U.S. president John Adams.

Legend has it, the term was officially coined in reference to Susan B.
Anthony in 1868 by political leaders opposed to her efforts supporting
women's suffrage. The term began to surface after an attempted effort
by Anthony to make a case for gender equality by denouncing a woman's
'duty' to fulfill cooking needs within the household. However, her
adversaries dismissed the idea as an effort to disguise her laziness,
hence, referring to her in the papers as 'Lazy Susan.'

`Casper