Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control
SMS SMS is offline

Default Controlling dry wood termites

planetorange wrote:
planetorange had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...tes-46127-.htm
:
contact an orange oil company
Nathan
planet orange

If the dry wood infestation is mild then orange oil can be used, but it
doesn't do as good a job as fumigation with vikane.

For a severe infestation tenting and using vikane is necessary (or heat
treatment). The alternative is to wait until the house collapses, and
then rebuild with steel construction.

I have a rental unit in a townhouse complex that is being tented today.
We looked at orange oil, which is offered by the pest control company we
are using, but they advised us that only fumigation would work and it's
less expensive than trying to find every nook and cranny and treat it
with orange oil (in reality you simply can't find infestations that are
hidden from view It's a hassle to deal with the tenting, but the gas
dissipates very quickly when the tent is removed.

I don't know of any companies that do heat treatment (heating the
structure to 120 degrees F.

None of these methods prevent re-infestation.