Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Neighbor's dead tree is leaning against my oak and threateningto fall on my property

Bill wrote:
A situation like this is the MOST dangerous tree situation there is - so far
as taking down the tree. Many professionals would not touch this except with
a bucket truck and/or heavy equipment. So don't even think of this as being
a do-it-yourself project!

With that said, a professional tree service would need to be called to
safely remove the tree. And this would be quite expensive.

And either your neighbor has the money to pay for this or they don't.

If they don't have the money to pay for this, then there is nothing they can
do! Period, end of story!

When it is a safety issue, or the owner ignores orders to do something -
like mow high weeds - the city might do it and sue the owner. If the
city orders removal and the owner(s) fail to comply, then it probably
goes to court.

The OP didn't state the size of the tree or how much is on which
property. I suppose if the majority of the tree is on the OP's
property, it might now be his responsibility to remove what is over the
line.

So I suppose if that is the case and you want safety for your kids, then you
would need to pay for it.

I suppose if it got to that, you could contact an attorney and have the
attorney arrange a repayment contract with the neighbor or some other legal
means of getting your money back.

"Joe" wrote in message
My neighbor has had a dead tree in the back of his property for about
a year, last night the wind finally broke the trunk and it fell a
little toward my yard but was stopped by a large oak tree on my
property. I'm worried that it might break apart and fall when my
children are playing in the yard. I need this tree to come down and
I'm worried that my neighbor won't do it. They have a habit of only
doing the kind of maintenance that is absolutely necessary. How do I
approach them to make sure they take care of this problem? I'm on
good terms with this neighbor and I'd like to take care of this in the
most tactful way possible but I get the feeling they are going to tell
me that if I want the tree down I'm going to have to pay for it
myself.