Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default The NEW Drill Press

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:

The column was next bolted to the DP base and the table attached to
the column mount. Then came the struggle of getting the heavy DP
head to the top of the column. Actually next came getting the heavy
DP head out of the box. My 21 year old son and I looked like a clown
act trying to get the thing out of the box. Of course the box lid
folds open but each side of the lid is wider than the box side so the
lid effectively makes the width of the box even wider and the target
even farther away. We both stumbled a couple of times tripping and
smashing the box as we carried our catch away.

I've learned over the years to unpack in such a way that I can lift the
box away from the contents, or just cut the sides down so they can be
removed. Lifting big heavy things out of boxes is not good for aging
backs.

Using that "hind site thang", that seems like a pretty good idea!

We put the head on a
work bench and waited until all of the huffing and puffing subsided
to ponder lifting this thing from the work bench to above eye level
AND negotiate the union of the column into the mounting hole. My
wife would be needed, she being a quilter has the talent to thread a
needle, surely she can guide us in placing the head on to the column.
We both squat under the head teetering on the edge of the bench and
slowly stand up with the bottom ends of the head setting on the
palms of out hands and then proceed to the DP column. Now we need to
push up from about shoulder level to above "my" eye level and gently
lower the head on to the column.

I've have been tempted to assemble it horizontally on the floor and then
use a pulley to hoist it vertical, but maybe with at least one more guy to
help. Hmmmm, this sounds like good justification for a chain-hoist
installation: "Honey, it's for safety, you want us to be safe, right?"

I thought about assembling it with it laying down but the base being on the
larger platform and it being on the wider mobile base seemed to present
possible problems. You should have seen my son and I mounting the 4.5hp
220 volt Baldor motor to the Laguna band saw. He had to hold the motor up
about 20" off the floor and keep it properly clocked while I on the other
side of the saw screwed the bolts in and hold the belt out of the way. The
motor probably weighed close to 100 lbs. and makes the 3 hp motor on the
planer and TS look small by compairison.

Fun post to read, thanks.

Sure!