Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default What fails in CCFL inverters?

Jim Yanik wrote:
Charlie E. wrote in
:

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:36:58 -0700, John E.
wrote:

It is mostly the TV programs that fail.
Very funny. I agree: My TV won't survive another episode of "Lost".

But that's a discussion for another time...

Speaking of failing TVs... 8-)

My old Zenith 25" TV has been doing the oddest thing. The menus are
going crazy, like someone was randomly hitting the menu button on my
remote. The menus pop up, start changing different values, go here
and there throughout the menu tree. It drives me crazy to try and
watch it! My wife doesn't mind, though... ;-)

Any ideas what could be causing it? At first, I thought it might be a
remote problem, or even a remote interaction problem, but it doesn't
look like it. I even to out the batteries to all the remotes, and
covered the IR receiver window, but it still kept going crazy. My
only thought is some sort of fault on the logic board, or something.

Charlie

probably bad electrolytic caps.
perhaps one or more of your LV supplies is getting out of spec,and
affecting the logic ICs.

I'd look at the PCB & caps around the IR receiver. IR receivers are also
very sensitive to RF, so you could get erroneous operation if there's
something wrong with the shielding or grounding around the module.
[sci.electronics.repair added]