Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a new water heater over a porcelain tile floor

On Tue 28 Apr 2009 05:40:32a, Ray K told us...

aemeijers wrote:
Ray K wrote:
Should I put a piece of plywood (or something with a little "give")
under the new heater? My concern is that if I don't install the four
12x12" tiles under the heater so they are all the same height, the
weight of the filled 50-gallon heater might crack the highest tile. My
thought is to distribute the weight of the heater more evenly.

I'm not sure if a drip pan is a solution.

Thanks for your advice.

Ray

Why install tile under the water heater at all? Is this exposed inside
finished space or something? I'd edge a suitably sized opening in the
tile with a small curb, and make a catch pan out of it, sealed with
epoxy. A small sensor-activated pump like used with dehumidifiers can
pump out any water, if there is a nearby drain such as a washing machine
drain standpipe.

--
aem sends...

The heater is in a finished laundry room (washer, dryer, furnace), so
while it's not an area that visitors would see, I still want it to look
as good as the ugly furnace and ductwork allow. Your suggestions sound a
bit complicated compared to simply putting four tiles under the heater.

Some years ago we had the exact situation as you describe. We had a
utility room that had the same porcelain tile running through it that was
in our central hall and foyer. We had an 80 gallon gas water heater
installed which sat in a metal drain pan directly on the tile. There was
never a crack or othe problem. We also did not have a convenient drain for
the pan, so connected a pipe from the pan directly out through the side of
the house. The end of pipe outside had an easy open check valve to prevent
anything from entering from outside.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The breakfast slimes, angel food cake, doughnuts and coffee, white