Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Grayco spray pattern problem

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
I've got a grayco airless sprayer, the 900 series magnum, and it seems to
not spray right. I've tried a couple of new tips, and had the pressure
from low to high. What i'm getting is a good spray pattern the width it
should be, but then a gap and a stripe on each side of the pattern. I'm
at my wits end, i've had close to a hundred gallons of different brands of
paint through this thing in the year and a half i've had it and it worked
great until the last 25 gallons or so. I'm beginning to wonder if there's
anyway the nozzle itself (where the tip goes in) could affect the pattern.

thanks

steve

Damn, Steve, I hate to write the following, but it's just what I'd do from
my experiences with a Graco. I know you're a knowledgeable experienced
person, but you're missing SOMETHING.

On my Graco, I can turn the spray nozzle 180 so the big end is out, and if
there's anything in there, one spray, and it is gone. What you describe is
something getting in the nozzle, blocking it partially. That would mean you
don't have a sock on your intake, or your paint has a lot of chips in it, or
your pump has a lot of "stuff" in it. I thought I had cleaned mine
adequately, and put the Graco stuff in there inbetween batches, etc, etc,
etc. Then one day it just wouldn't work. I took the pump apart, and was
amazed at how much stuff had solidified in there in just a short time.

First thing I'd do is run water through it real good. Clean out everything
you can get to. Then I'd try it with a fine mesh screen over the intake.
Maybe even strain the entire amount of paint, altho that would be a PITA
with thick paint.

After that, maybe it's time to take it apart, and clean it thoroughly, pump
and all.

But I'd try the water and fine sock tricks first.

Let us know what it was when you find out.

The other Steve B.