Posted to alt.home.repair
Major Debacle Major Debacle is offline

Default How to ground electric outlets over a slab?

N8N wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:38 pm, Major Debacle
wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Major Debacle wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I used to own a house that was built on a stemwall foundation. I
grounded the electric outlets by drilling a hole up through the bottom
plate under each outlet box, pushing ground wires up through the hole,
and fishing them into the box.
I'm now buying a house that is built on a slab, and many of the
outlets are ungrounded. How should I deal with the problem in this
case?
Eh? What problem?
Trying to ground wall outlets in a hiuse with a slab foundation rather
than joists bearing on a concrete stemwall. The latter allows running a
ground wire up to the wall outlet from the basement or crawl space.
Can't do that with a slab foundation.
Clarification: Why does the OP choose to see ungrounded outlets as a
*problem?*

Careful... that's like questioning the existence of God.

All my outlets are ungrounded. The only problems so far are trying to
plug in a three pronged cord and a vague feeling of being somewhat
behind the technology curve.

Couple reasons why grounded outlets are a Good Thing:

1) If you have any power tools that have a metal case, you run the
slight but non-zero risk of electrocution if there is a ground fault
to the case internal to the tool.

And you are standing in a substantial puddle of water or hanging onto a
water pipe with the other hand.

2) Most surge suppressors are not guaranteed to function if not
properly grounded.

now whether these reasons are compelling enough to make you go through
the process...

nate

--
Rights Are Not Given, They Are Taken

When asked, years afterward, why his charge at Gettysburg failed,
General Pickett said: "I've always thought the Yankees had something to
do with it."