Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots cankill you

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:16:48 -0700, "CalifBill"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

Buerste wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...
snip
I miss my '73 Chevy stepvan with a Union City body. It gve me 20
MPG, no matter how much I hauled in it. It had non commercial tags,
and
one trip had over 8,000 of cargo.

I bet that was a white-knuckle trip!

Only when the Georgia Highway Patrol chased me just south of Atlanta,
long enough to see I had non commercial tags. Then he slammed on the
brakes, slid into the median, and was pounding the dash with both fists.

Sort of like my S10 4x4 Pickup. Got a load of pavers for the back yard.
Said a pallet load was 1500#. Pick up the load one night from HD, drive
home, luckily the wife is with me as the truck barely steers. Front wheels
probably would not of touched if wife was not in cab. The pallet they
referred to was much smaller. We figured there were 4500# of pavers in the
truck, Setting on the axle stops.

Kid worked for me in 1972 bet the quarry foreman a case of beer that
his '52 Fargo 1/2 ton could get home with the box level full of
crushed limestone. First attempt, he lost the load climbing out of the
quarry, so after re-loading he backed it up the hill then drove home.
His Dad was happy to get some gravel for the driveway.

Gee. The best I ever got was when the owner of a bunch of dump
trucks who hauled for an asphalt plant was when he delivered two free
truckloads of hot asphalt for our shop's parking lot. It had been paved
with slag from the local steel mill and he was always complaining about
the dust, so we told him, "If you don't like it, do something about
it!" He did!