Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray K Ray K is offline

Default Installing a new water heater over a porcelain tile floor

aemeijers wrote:
Ray K wrote:
Should I put a piece of plywood (or something with a little "give")
under the new heater? My concern is that if I don't install the four
12x12" tiles under the heater so they are all the same height, the
weight of the filled 50-gallon heater might crack the highest tile. My
thought is to distribute the weight of the heater more evenly.

I'm not sure if a drip pan is a solution.

Thanks for your advice.

Ray

Why install tile under the water heater at all? Is this exposed inside
finished space or something? I'd edge a suitably sized opening in the
tile with a small curb, and make a catch pan out of it, sealed with
epoxy. A small sensor-activated pump like used with dehumidifiers can
pump out any water, if there is a nearby drain such as a washing machine
drain standpipe.

--
aem sends...

The heater is in a finished laundry room (washer, dryer, furnace), so
while it's not an area that visitors would see, I still want it to look
as good as the ugly furnace and ductwork allow. Your suggestions sound a
bit complicated compared to simply putting four tiles under the heater.