Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Cleaning a Conservatory ...

Hi all

I've got a "P" - form conservatory that goes right across the back of the
house, and sticks out 3m along the straight bit, and a lot more at the
'bulge'. It's too wide at any point to be able to lean right across, even on
top of a ladder, to give it a 'bucket & sponge' clean. It is a couple of
years old now, and starting to get algae-covered, and SWMBO has decided that
this summer, yours truly is going to get this clean ...

So I figured that I could use my pressure washer with one of the extra long
extendable wands that you can get for guttering cleaning. I've just
discovered that the pressure washer has a little pull-out tube with a
strainer on the end, to go into a detergent container (Doh! that'll teach me
to RTFM and know the capabilities of my kit ...)

So, anyone got any experience of getting this algae off ? Any
recommendations for a suitable detergent or whatever ? Is there a proper
stuff that anyone knows of ? I guess it has to be something low-foam if you
don't want the garden covered (I could always rig some lights and play loud
music if that happened :-) )

The conservatory is made from white uPVC, glass in all the windows, and
multi-wall polycarbonate (smooth inside and out, but 'crinkly' between the
smooth layers) for the roof panels.

Cheers
Arfa