Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to ground electric outlets over a slab?

RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 27, 10:21 pm, Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I used to own a house that was built on a stemwall foundation. I
grounded the electric outlets by drilling a hole up through the bottom
plate under each outlet box, pushing ground wires up through the hole,
and fishing them into the box.

I'm now buying a house that is built on a slab, and many of the
outlets are ungrounded. How should I deal with the problem in this
case?

Do it from above.

Peek in the boxes with a flashlight. If the place was built mid-1960s or
later, odds are there will be a ground wire rolled up under the romex
clamps. This 1960 house had ground cables in place- I just had to
connect them when I switched out the 2-holers for 3-holers. Were the
grounded outlets wired at the same time as the ungrounded ones? If so,
probably same type of wire. And you did plug one of those quick-testers
into the grounded outlets to make sure they really were grounded, right?
(well worth the ten bucks to have one of those in the toolbox, IMHO.)

--
aem sends...