Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Loose Fence Post

Just had the same problem with my fence. Turned out after 25 years one of
the PT posts had rotted off about 6 inches below grade. I think it split
over the years allowing water to get in deep where there PT wasn't as good.

I had a rose bush on my side of the fence so had to do most of the digging
to replace it from the neighbor's side but was finally able to get the stump
out and slide a new post in. The posts weren't in concrete, just buried
about 24 inches in the ground. Fence has held up well over the years other
than this instance.

wrote in message
I have 1 loose post in a 50' run of fence. Construction is typical
for around he 4x4 PT posts every 8', 2x4 PT rails, 1x6 PT boards
alternating from side to side, PT lattice panels on top. The loose
post moves the two adjacent panels when it wobbles, but the fence is
solid once you pass the next post on either side. Fence is about 10
years old.

There are plantings/shrubs/trees near the fenceline, and probably not
easy to get machinery (ie bobcat) up close.

Is there a alternative to extracting & replacing the post? I thought
about siamesing some sort of support, but not sure what would be
effective w/o being too difficult to install.

TIA,
Chris