Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Anyone ever hear of "hard dirt"?

In article ,
Major Debacle wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Major Debacle Major Debacle@the pentagon.mil wrote:

The decomposed granite worked like a charm! The old gent at the rock
place said that stabilizer wasn't needed. Turns out it's just powdered
seed hulls.

Well, I'm glad you liked it. And I'm glad you installed it properly,
wetting and tamping. People who don't like it are usually the ones who
don't install it properly.

Powdered seed hulls, huh? Somebody's leg got pulled pretty hard, I
guess. DG is, uh, decomposed *granite*, just like the name says. That'd
be mineral, not vegetable.

The 'stabilizer' is sold to be mixed with the DG. It is powdered seed
hulls. Turns out that 'Stabilizer' is the registered trademark of the
stuff:

D'oh! I figured that out after I posted. The pronoun "it" fooled me for
a minute, there. People also mix cement (not concrete) with DG to make
it more permanent.

Even properly installed and compacted DG can get weak if it gets too
wet. I hope the rainy season doesn't cause problems for your client.