Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Cheese ECS motherboard

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:27:19 +0100, Baron
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Meat Plow wrote:

You couldn't give me an ECS mobo. I've used them and had prolems
right out of the box. Best board out there is Super Micro or MSI.

They are a bit naff ! But I've seen worse. Dare I say "PChips" !

PCChips and ECS merged in 2005. I believe the pair are now the number
1 or number 2 motherboard manufacturer.

I didn't know that they had merged.

You can find ECS and PCChips boards in OEM equipment such as IBM,
Compaq, HP.

I'm using an 11 year old PCChips M571 socket 7 board for my Internet
box and an ECS L7S7A2 Athlon XP 2500 box for multimedia.

Its odd that you mention the M571 board because that was one of the
worst boards I came across ! I returned a whole case of them because
of corroded traces on the underside. I'm talking brand new boxed kit.

The suppliers eventually admitted that there had been "Quality Control
Issues" during manufacture.

Based on the corrosion I would have said that the boards were either
packaged wet or some etchant was still present when they were packed.

My experience with PCChips and ECS has been mixed. ECS were the only
company to offer me a motherboard circuit diagram (back in the 386
days), which from a support point of view was good. However, PCChips
was involved in the fake cache RAM scam which was very bad. But my
latest boards have been very reliable, as has my brother's Duron 850
MHz PCChips board.

- Franc Zabkar

I agree ECS really bent over backwards to please. The trinkets that
turned up in the packaging were nice as well ! I'm glad that your
experience has been better than mine was.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.