Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default DIY - Buy the right Tools - Learn how to do it right?

On Apr 26, 12:06*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
When I was a kid back in the middle of the last
century, "shop" was a class taught in the schools.
I wonder if there is anything like that in schools
today?

I don't know what shop class you went to, but the mandatory shop
classes I took in high school didn't teach you a thing about home
improvement. They tought you things like how to use ridiculously
expensive shop tools like you see on New Yankee Workshop, that an
average homeowner would never need. We learned how to injection mold
plastic. We learned how to pound sand molds for casting aluminum. We
learned resin molding and vacuum forming. We got a taste of lots of
"trade" skills.

We never touched a circular saw. We never worked with 2x4s, plumbing,
or electrical. That was a special course for delinquents to take in
their senior year so their grade point average would be high enough to
graduate, where they built a tool shed.