Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
PlainBill PlainBill is offline

Default What fails in CCFL inverters?

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:08:27 -0700, John E.
wrote:

There are many ways to fix electronic systems. Replacing the parts
that 'usually' fail is one way. It's an expensive way, but it IS a
way.
PlainBill

It's not about "shotgun repair".

My inquiry re. "usual suspects" is to get an idea of where to start testing
(key word: "testing").

For example hearing that the windings frequently go and take the transistors
with them, I'll start by looking at:

Fuse, windings, transistors.

Before wading into a swamp, it pays to talk to others who have been there.

Perhaps this is a case of miscommunication. Earlier you posted

Thanks, guys.

So it looks like they're unrepairable. I'll order one of the replacements.
--
John English

I took that (apparently incorrectly) to mean you were going to
replace the entire inverter. If indeed you meant you intended to
replace any defective transformers (rather than trying to repair
them), indeed you are taking the correct approach.

For what it's worth, there are a number of entrepaneurs in the Far
East who are eager to sell replacement transformers, transistors, etc
at really reasonable prices.

PlainBill