Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Drip during heavy rain shower

david wrote:
On Apr 19, 8:23 am, Ken wrote:
david wrote:
hi
I have a two storey house in houston texas. This friday we got about
3 inches of rain at around noon. I was in my master on the second
floor for the good part of the rain.
When i went to my first floor family room I noticed water on my
couch. I looked up to see a water stain from my vent. I quickly
opened the vent to find it was completely dry and concluded that water
was just using the opening to drip down. Now the rain although not
heavy was steady by the drip had stop.
I went up to the second storey and noticed no leaks in the ceiling
just above. I also went thru the attic with a flood light and
although the space is tight could not find any water marks by the
drain vents etc.
So i am lost as to how water was dripping thru the first floor with no
evidence of it on the second.
Now to the left of the family room is the guest bathroom which has
it's drain vent and plumbing pretty far from the drip. I cannot
imagine any plumbing in the area of the drip. The guest bathroom does
have an exhaust which is about 3 feet from the drip spot.
All the drain vents on the roof were re sealed after hurriance ike.
And i should mention that during hurriance ike we did have a drip spot
about a foot to the left of the new one.
So my quesiton is where do i look and what do you think is going on.
The drip spot is about 9 feet from the shingled house side. Where
could this drip be coming from. It also rained all day today pretty
heavy and the drip is gone.
If it was the plumbing or the drain it would be consistent but it
isn't.
Please advice and thanks for reading.

Check around your vent stacks in the attic. I had a similar
situation that only occurred during heavy rains. There is a boot made
of rubber that is around the vent stack as it penetrates the roof. In
my situation the stack pipe had fallen ever so slightly causing a
indentation in that rubber boot around the pipe rather than tapering
upward around the pipe. This indentation was enough to accumulate a
bead of water and eventually it followed the pipe to a point to where it
dropped to the floor joists of the attic. I thought I would never find
the leak, but when I did it made sense.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I have found the source and it is one of the vent stacks.
Unfortuntely i cannot go on the roof safely as it is a two storey but
can see the drip when i was on my attic during a recent
thunderstorm.

A visual inspection from the attic shows that it is sealed but I may
be wrong. My conclusion is based on the fact that i cannot see
sunlight from the boot. -- I am no expert so your comments are
welcomed.

As another poster said, it is not always possible to see a gap for
there to be one. Those boots are not expensive, (something less than
$15) but sometimes a couple of new shingles are needed in order to
replace them. This is due to the way the boot sits between the shingles.

Anyway i have called some roofing companys and one showed up and the
guy did not even climb the roof and wants me to file an insurance
claim. I am surprised. Why can't they just replace the boot or redo
the area around.
thanks please comment
Regards

As far as the company not wanting to climb your roof for this problem:
I suspect he is looking for a larger job than replacing a boot or two.
You might see if an odd job person or handy man is willing and
knowledgeable for the task. Unless your roof is in need of replacement
it should not take long or cost much.

The correct way is to replace the boot which is generally affixed to an
aluminum base. As a cheap and temporary fix, you could cut the rubber
part out of the replacement boot and simply slip it over the existing
one. It will probably work for some time since it will provide an
umbrella effect over where it is currently leaking. I do not recommend
this type of fix, but I just thought I would throw it out there.