Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY - Buy the right Tools - Learn how to do it right?

Nate Nagel wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Red Green wrote:
evodawg wrote in
:
Patrick Karl wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Bill wrote:
It used to be that people with DIY projects would take the time to
learn how to do something (buy and read books) and would purchase
the proper tools to do the job. The thing being either you pay
someone else to do it, or you do it yourself the correct way and
with the proper tools...

These days I'm seeing a lot of people who don't even TRY to learn
about how to do something and don't want to buy the tools. They ask
on the internet and seem to want someone to do all the work for
them and tell them exactly what to do. And they think they can do
ANYTHING themselves! ("Just tell me how to fix this!")

I think this is because of all of those DIY shows on TV.

They need a new set of shows on TV which explain that some things
require learning and proper tools. Or that you need to call pro if
you are not willing to take the time to learn about something. And
that some things can take years to learn about...

When I was a kid back in the middle of the last
century, "shop" was a class taught in the schools.
I wonder if there is anything like that in schools
today?
I first learned about woodworking at the Boy's Club about the same
time. I recently toured the same facility, now called the Boy's and
Girl's Club. The old shop has been replaced by an Art Room.
Something to
do with lawyers.
Yeah Lawyers have a tendency to ruin everything. I wonder how we got
along without them 30-40 years ago??? Better put on my helmet I'm
going down stairs now.

I picked up one of those magnetic trays yesterday for small parts
sold for auto work. On the box it actually said to wear safety
glasses when using it.

Hell, it says that on a package of condoms. *snicker*

TDD

you'll shoot your eye out!

This is my weapon, this is my gun.
This is for fighting, this is for fun.