Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default OT Metric System

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

One of them was highway speed limit signs in KPH, posted alongside (or
right under) the MPH ones. They disappeared a few years after they went
up, at least they did here in Red Sox Nation.

Jeff

I remember them on the Interstates in the 70s as part of a big push to
change to metric. Then they gave up.

The biggest problem with switching to metric was the ridiculous notion
that everyone had to learn how to convert one unit to another. If we all
just woke up one day and every car speedometer had nothing but
kilometers per hour and all the speed limits were posted that way, no
conversion would ever be needed.

Same with rulers. Pull every yardstick off the shelves, and replace them
all with metersticks. It doesn't take long to get used to a new system
if you throw the old one completely out the window instead of trying to
think in both at the same time.