Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Breaker burn out fixed, my lathe runs again!

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:50:43 -0500, Terry
wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:58:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Terry.
I hope the 30A breaker is a double breaker so both sides of the 220
are opened when a fault occurs.

Paul

Yup. No worries.

Well they DO make 30A 40A and 50A single-pole breakers, but you
aren't going to find them 'In the wild" witout a reason. They are
special order only. The only common usage for a 30A single pole is
for a Travel Trailer outlet.

Now that I know you have enough panel, the next project is to bump
up the feeder out to the garage. Cut the voltage drop, and you can
run a plasma cutter and let the compressor kick on at the same time.

If you have 3/4" conduit out to the garage you can get 3 #6 THHN
Copper and a #10 ground in 3/4" conduit, and depending on how you
derate (underground or free air) 50A to 60A - that's plenty for a
garage sub.

Bigger pipe is always better, and for long distances you can run big
Aluminum wire without breaking the bank.

-- Bruce --