Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Paint for a cement floor?

cshenk wrote:
wrote
Lee B wrote:

I think the next step will be unglued indoor/outdoor carpet, which will
have to suffice for a while.

Indoor/outdoor carpet would be my only choice...it is available in decent
colors, easy to maintain and not expensive. I'd be sure to caulk wall all
around the exterior of the room.

Same here. My sunroom needed something on the cement slab. It had minor
cracks and some minor seepage (darkened stains in spots in heavy rain, no
actual puddles) so we used a bit of acrylic goop on the cracks then a water
sealant 'paint' and put 'outdoor' carpet down. It looks like a very nice
berber carpet but is designed to tolerate a bit of damp or even a full
wetting down (provided it can dry out later). Oddly, it was cheaper than
'indoor carpet' of the same look.

The only downfall is it's a bit scratchy if you sit on the floor (which we
do there all the time). Since the water has not seeped up at all after
treating the slab (could have done internal carpet it turns out), we
overlayed a cheapish but nice looking oriental rug piece that is soft to sit
on.

I/o carpet can get real mildewy if it gets wet and stays wet ... also easy
to haul outside, hose off and leave in the sun to dry. I would tack it
down just a little at doorways so it can't curl and cause someone to trip.

Curling depends on type. The sunroom is a portion of a large extended
'enclosed porch'. All same slab. 11x13ft is the sunroom. The rest is
still a fully screened porch of 36x13ft with a small extra section that
makes it 44ft (laundry room is an 8x5ft cutout of the porch). In the
screened section, the rain blows in naturally and the landscaping also
causes water flow to the center of the slab up to 1/4 inch. The outdoor
carpet type there is the 'fake grass' sort which can tolerate that
condition. No need to pull it up and stick it in the sun. That type wont
curl either while the 'berber-look' one on the sunroom floor, would in those
conditions.

If the Florida room is in Florida, and the carpet is damp for a while,
it can grow thick coats of mildew. Our neighbors' patios have that
problem. As for curling, I've had plastic grass and low-loop pile and
both did not remain totally flat. Carpet at doorways can get a lot of
traffic and might tend to curl more - better to stick it down before
someone trips.

BTW, to avoid any accidental confusion, the original 'enclosed porch' was
55.5ft The missing 6 inches are the ones for the non-structural separator
wall between the enclosed and screened area. An interesting tidbit is the
code and zoning of my area made your taxes go up if your porch was 60ft or
more 'long' or more than 13ft 'deep'. Hence, 55.5x13 is not uncommon here.