Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Ampex tape problem

On Apr 25, 1:23*pm, "bg" wrote:
root wrote in message ...
root wrote:
I have recently been converting my RTR tapes to mp3
and have found a problem with tapes made by Ampex
for Philips or London, or under the Ampex name.
These tapes have a charcoal colored oxide. The problem
is the tapes chatter against the heads and emit
a loud screech which carries over into the output
signal. These tapes haven't been played in almost
40 years. None of the brown oxide tapes made by
other mfgs have a problem.

I have tried respooling the tapes and even tried
coating my heads with a silicone lubricant but
neither works.

I wonder if anyone has a solution. Most of
these tapes are unique.

TIA

For this newsgroup I should have added this:
The recorder I use sat for over 30 years without
use. I powered it up and it worked perfectly,
albeit with a dusty smell. The unit is a
Pioneer RT-1011L, direct drive. Well made.

As stratus46 posted below, bake the tape. I've never had luck doing

it this
way but probably because I didn't bake it long enough. The sticky

goo left
on the guides and heads is a real ****er to get off. It will

usually cause
the tape to drag. Rather than alcohol, use acetone, but be carefull

to keep
it off of anything other than metal.
bg

The official head / guide cleaner recommended by Ampex is Xylene. On
their 1" SMPTE 'C' machines they specifically say to avoid alcohol as
it "leaves a persistent film". I have found this to be true. Be very
careful with Xylene as it will destroy some plastics - styrenes in
particular - and paints. Being a close cousin of toluene, it has a
strong chemical odor and may set some people off figuratively and
literally but it works outstandingly well.