Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
MooseFET MooseFET is offline

Default Power Conversion Electronics

On Apr 26, 5:32*am, david wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:20:26 -0700, pg rearranged some electrons to say:

I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type of
electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices they
use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Thank you all !!!

0.96 power factor does not mean 96% efficient. *But, to answer your
question, *active power factor correction means that the front end of the
power supply tries to keep the phase between the voltage and current
waveforms as small as possible.

It also tries not to draw any current at harmonics. It is unfortunate
that one term is now used for two effects but we are stuck with it.