Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Power Conversion Electronics

Sylvia Else wrote:
pg wrote:
I just purchase a Silverstone Power Supply Unit (PSU) for my PC.

I am amaze with the PFC (Power Factor Correction) rating of over 0.96,
which, according to some indicators, means it's 96% efficient. (4%
wastage as heat).

Since it's a new unit I dare not to open up the PSU to see what type
of electronics they are using.

So I post the question here ----

Can anyone tell me what type of Power Conversion Electronic Devices
they use in those high PFC rating PSU?

Thank you all !!!

Something like this, perhaps

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCP1653-D.PDF

Sylvia.

Hmm.... I wonder how those would handle an input in the form of a
"modified sine wave", which would more accurately be described as a
modified square wave, as typically produced by cheaper UPSs.

An ordinary PC PS wouldn't notice the difference.

Sylvia.