Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Paint for a cement floor?

Lee B wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Lee B wrote:
My newish-to-me house has a Florida room with a cement floor. It's
painted and can be a bit slick, especially for my dogs with fuzzy
feet. The patio is the same level with the cement outside of the
expanse of sliding patio doors (maybe even the same, just with the
track across it). During hard rains, I get small puddles just inside
of the tracks, which is the subject of another question sometime. The
problem, though, is that I really don't want to put down decent
carpeting for traction until that's resolved. I haven't slipped, but
I am a bit concerned that it could be slick if wet and I have guests.

Any suggestions on how to treat the floor? Deck paint? That speckled
stuff I've seen for garages?

I'd repaint with non-skid paint. They have smallish but uniformly
sized particles in the paint so that you get miniscule bumps when the
paint dries. The particles can be any of many different things...sand,
ground rubber, ground walnut shells, etc. It can sometimes be hard to
keep the paint stirred well so that particle suspension is uniform.

The few times I've wanted a non-skid surface I rolled on a coat of
paint (usually polyurethane) and while still tacky broadcast fine sand
over it. When dry, I swept up all the sand that was loose and rolled
on another coat of paint.

Info on non-skid paint
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...aq=1&oq=non-sk

Following up. Yes, I think they did take an existing cement patio and
build the florida room on top of it. The patio in turn abuts a paved
area at the same height. There used to be a pool in the yard, and
apparently the original owner was quite the party person (there is a
"Tiki" bar with fake bamboo at one end of the room!), so I suspect he
really didn't care about water coming in because with the pool it
probably got got wet a lot anyhow. I can't tell how the water gets in; I
never see it as it happens - just come home to find small puddles. And
it doesn't happen all the time. I do get some puddling on the outside
cement so I wonder it there is occasionally a "high tide" the comes over
the tracks. It's gotten better since I attached some of those extension
tubes to the downspout that was also draining onto the cement.

I think the next step will be unglued indoor/outdoor carpet, which will
have to suffice for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Indoor/outdoor carpet would be my only choice...it is available in
decent colors, easy to maintain and not expensive. I'd be sure to caulk
wall all around the exterior of the room.

I/o carpet can get real mildewy if it gets wet and stays wet ... also
easy to haul outside, hose off and leave in the sun to dry. I would
tack it down just a little at doorways so it can't curl and cause
someone to trip.