Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default How do I know if I need a subfloor?

Our basement was finished by the builder when the house was being built.
All walls studded out first. Floors last. Just use a threshhoold between
carpet and tile. Also concrete cracks and may crack tile with it.

"Kbalz" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 2:53 pm, "Art" wrote:
Not to kill your project but are you absolutely sure the basement is dry
with an external drainage system that works. Also, attach some clear
plastic to the concrete floor with duct tape, about a foot square, and
check
overnight for moisture under plastic.

"Kbalz" wrote in message

I'm planning to finish my basement. My house is only 4 years old, the
basement is concrete walls & floor slabs. The previous owner framed &
insulated most of the walls, two walls remain un-framed.

The basement has one main room, with a bathroom and utility room
(furnace & wash/dryer). The bathroom door is in line with the slider
to outside. My floor plan was to have large tile floor in the
bathroom, but use the same tile in the main room for the portion that
connects the slider door and bath room door. The rest (85%) of the
main room would be carpet. The utility room also would be tile.

Not sure how well this will show up in google groups, the dots are
tile, equalsigns are carpet:

----------
outsidewall-----------------------------------------------------------
(bar).......|......................|.............. ......|
\slider................................
\bathroom........|.....utility........|
|........................................|........ ..............|..........*..........|
|====================|......................|..... ..............|
|====================|----------------------....................|
|=======main==========|........................... ...............|
|======room===========|__________________| |____/
|=========================================|
|=========================================|

Not to scale of course but my point is that the main room will have
two different floor types (carpet & tile). Whats the best approach to
finish the floors?

Also, do I finish framing the walls first, or do the floors before the
walls? Or do I drywall the walls / ceilings THEN do the floors? Thanks.-

Art - we noticed some small moister in a spot where the wall meets the
floor last week. All of our outsides roofs channel rain down to one
area of grass on the mentioned side of the house.. this area of grass
is behind and above an outside retaining wall, which lines up with the
'wet wall'.. Basically a lot of water can get put into a small area..
So I do need to figure that out before I do anything for sure. This
wet wall is also one of the walls the previous owner did not finish. I
can see they put some sort of filler in the wall from inside the
house, but that has failed.

My plan this summer to to install some outdoor gutters, channeling the
water away from the house using underground conduit (like 20 feet away
from the house), next spring I'll see how much that helps.

ANYWAYS ignoring that - I was just really curious on the floor, so I
can start building an appropriat budget for next year assuming gutters
fix my wall.