Posted to rec.woodworking
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Box joint table saw jig (Gears for Dummies)

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:28:34 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 24, 11:33 am, Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp
on their own hook.
And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable
difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are
(free) tools like

http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/

that produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other
software).

You'd need a .dxf import function that is pretty robust to take
advantage of that, eh?
:-^

I have multiple cad packages that can do that.

I have a excel spread sheet that generates gears and the output can be
imported for a gear in my cad. Kinda neat. I made some spiral gears
that hang from a line and dangle below.

Martin

Slightly OT, but do any of you who play with gears have a suggestion for
a package I could use to model simple-to-middling gearboxes, both CAD
style drawings and also actual modelling where I could adjust the speed
of an input shaft (or two) and see what happens?