Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Reading a digital meter

Don Young wrote:

Thanks everyone.
Alan, I'll have to look again, but there was indeed some sort of
blinking arrow which has a square block appear occasionally. That
occurred to me, but I remember there was something strange about it,
like sometimes two blocks or something like that. Can't remember. So
I have to figure out how much watts that represents. I will be
getting my utility to do a "free energy audit" after I get my house
cleaned up some, and maybe they can clear things up for me.

If you have some kind of indicator, the easiest way to get a rough
calibration of it is to check it against a 100W light bulb. Just
shut-off/disconnect everything else and see what your indicator shows
for the light bulb alone.

Don Young

Make that a 100-watt incandescent bulb. CFLs will lie.

I've got a "60-watt" CFL, that draws 21 VAs but only registers 10 watts.

This is called "cheating the light company."