Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Road signs

Clot wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:13:14 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

However it still look like another good reason for compulsory
testing every 5 years. If only to keep up with the law
changes/additions, new signage/road markings, etc.
Five years? Yes, I'd go with that. Plus, compulsory eye tests.

Any one with any sense visits an optician at that sort of interval
anyway but I guess many people with normal sight don't bother.
Trouble is quite a lot of eye problems are degenerative and slowly
sneak up on you unnoticed. If spotted early they can be treated with
good out comes, caught late and the damage is done.

I would endorse that. Rather like braking inefficiency in a car can go
unobserved if it happens over a lengthy period.

Until recently, I have an eye test every 2 years. The reason I have not
done this over the last 3 years is because of a problem in my left eye.

Both my mother (long deceased) and recently father were diagnosed with
cataracts. In my mother's case, after the operation she was able to see
"perfectly" - as near as damned it, though having suffered for many years
with limited vision.

I was like that until 1998 when I had my cataract removed. My right eye
allowed me to continue driving by permission from the DVLA

Snip.

I went to a different optician who immediately said "Do not pass
Go, do not collect £200" and referred me to an hospital for Glaucoma which
has thankfully contained the problem for the last 2x years.

Glaucoma can be fatal for the eyes. Thankfully, I am clear of it.

About 2 years ago, I started experiencing flashing lights - not quite true-
difficult to describe, and also a slight hyper sensitivity to blue light -
an exaggerated annoyance to those bloody silly unnecessary headlights mostly
on vehicles from Germany, (it's about time full beam was removed from motors
, but that's another issue). Went to see the Consultant immediately,
"everything seems OK". Six months later, I'm diagnosed as having cataracts -
common for those that have taken medication for Glaucoma apparently.

Everyone take notice of this.

I suffered a detached retina last September and it was successfully
operated on, but the surgeon told me that I would get a cataract after
the op. I told him that I had a lens implant done in 1998 and he smiled.
Once you have suffered a retached reitina, you other eye can suffer the
same fates.
Take notice of this as well.

Sorry if I've bored you, but I hope that folk might learn from this.

Glaucoma is hereditary; if it is in the family, optician's inspections are
free under the UK NHS.

If you suffer from glaucoma.

I strongly advocate using the opportunity if any of these signals are
relevant to you and yours.

Symptom of a detached retina is that you get a shape a bit like the moon
when it is just coming out/going into, the earths shadow. A bit like a
cresent at the side of your vision. Mine was enroaching into my central
vision within 2 weeks.

Sorry if I have bored anyone, but our eyes are priceless.

Dave