Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reading a digital meter

Snozz wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:40 am, wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:10 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Snozz wrote:
I have a new digital meter on my little house. I am trying to figure
out how much electricity is being drawn whenever most of my appliances
are off. I used to be able to gauge this by how long it took one
revolution of the wheel on the old meters. On this meter there is no
wheel, just a LCD readout. It lists the kWh and a couple other things

The electric meter directly shows the KWHs used, which is exactly what
you want to measure. So, what's the problem?

I don't recognize. It is a Elster, and has the identifiers Type2SD
and also e239953, which I thought might have been model #'s, but I
can't find anything on these, like a product manual.
There are some folks in Florida who rebuild and sell new meters.
Perhaps they could help you:
http://www.hialeahmeter.com/index.html
You may have a GE meter and here's some info.
http://tinyurl.com/c2wz9q
TDD

It takes it a long time to increment on kWh. Since it's in increments
of a kilo it makes it kinda of difficult. I'd have to stand there
waiting for it to flip one kWh, start timing, and then see how long it
flips another kilo. During the measuring period I will have
everything off, except water heater and fridge, so I can get a reading
of phantom power draw for my entire house.

Did you ever think of buying your own refurbished
old style mechanical meter? You can install your
own socket after the power company digital meter
so you have a real time analog read out. The old
meters are really inexpensive.

http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html

TDD