Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Road signs

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:48:08 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:54:48 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:48:58 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

8

That would be why they are putting platform humps in these days.
Shame that they also slow emergency stuff down too.

Which is a good reason not to install speed bumps at all.

Its the usual case of the idiots spoiling it for everyone else.
There should be no need for speed humps as there should be no need for
keep
clear road signs.
Most drivers are too stupid not to have the humps or the keep clear signs
as
they just don't pay attention to road conditions.

Indeed. And the more we cater for the bad drivers the less incentive
there is for them to improve.

At this moment i still think we need more cameras so they can collect
points and get disqualified faster.
They should then have to take compulsory training and a test before they
get their license back.
I don't see how standards will improve without doing something like that.
Even that might not work given the idiotic attitude of many drivers so a
three strikes and out system to remove them from the roads all together is
probably a good idea.

Why not pick on pedestrians instead?

The thick ****s walk up to a pelican crossing press the button then look and
see that they can cross the road before the car gets there and so they cross
with the red man showing. The car gets to the crossing and has to wait at an
empty crossing.

The even thicker ****s think that by just been near to a pelican crossing
allows them to cross the road without looking.

The thickest ****s of all have a limp and walk very slowly. It is their duty
to cross the road at any place that suits them in a diagonal line thus
holding the traffic up for longer than is needed.

Run 'em over.

Adam

Locally to us is a car park with shops on the opposite side of the road.
There has been a zebra crossing there for decades. Recently the council
removed the zebra and replaced it with a puffin crossing (which had to be
resited, as traffic leaving the car park would have been too close to the
crossing to see the lights above their roofline when turning out). I pass
this way as both a pedestrian and a motorist frequently and find that it is
worse for both.

As a pedestrian I press the button and then can have a lengthy wait until
the green man comes on, whereas with the zebra I could cross straight away.

As a motorist, I continue to wait at a red light when pedestrians have
already finished crossing or even come to a halt when the lights change
after the pedestrians have taken advantage of a gap in the traffic. I
thought that puffins were meant to detect pedestrians and avoid holding up
the traffic unnecessarily.

The cost of this change must have been high, there will be increased
maintenance costs and it seems to have disadvantaged everyone as far as
practicality is concerned.

SteveW