Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default microwave magnetron power rating?

James wrote:

"KORISNIK" wrote in message
The back of the oven gives microwave(non grill) input and output
power-so which one you pick magnetron by in catalogues(when not
relying on mag designaton number)? Or perhaps catalogue mag
power=HVtransformer output power, or, catalogue mag
power=2*HVtransformer voltage*current?
(example catalogue http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/10_Microwave.pdf)
thanks

Simple answer = The one that fits (WES may have different third party brands
as well as the OEM part that will fit depending on what it is.)

The power output is a product of the power supply, not the magnetron. I take
it you've never replaced a magnetron in a microwave oven before? Make sure
you know what you're doing or you might not be posting here again in this
lifetime!

The story of the resonant cavity magnetron is very interesting. I'm privileged
to have a *hardback* copy of 'Radar Days' here that formerly belonged to a (UK)
Guardian newspaper Science Editor who himself was a flyer ( Hurricanes and
Spitfires ) and Commanding Officer RAF North Africa for a while.
http://www.amazon.com/Radar-Days-Bow.../dp/075030586X

Want a damn good technical and personal read of how electronics influenced WW2
and later times ? It's one of the best.

You'll NEVER regret buying it.

Graham